Sunday, June 26, 2005
Off to Singapore-2
The Thai air-hostesses were looking great in their traditional outfits on the Thai airlines flight from Bangkok to Singapore, which was nearly full. I was really sleepy and wanted a good bed to sleep but got a seat near the toilet. This time me and Rishabh got seats far away and an Indian guy from Kanpur was sitting besides me. We were talking some stuff when the steward interrupted him to ask in thai-nglish “Did you order a Hindoo meal?”
“Yes but is it veg?”, the guy replied.
“veg? what is veg?”
“veg means vegetarian”, I interrupted.
“I donno Sir but I will inquire.”
Two thing to notice here. Firstly, I did not know what the hell a hindoo meal was. Secondly, people here have no idea what vegetarian is!!!
Finally he got a meal with “Hindoo meal” written on the top. I was given a meal with “Asia Vegetarian” sticker but I was more interested in peeping over to see the so-called hindoo meal. It had some yellow rice and curry; nothing much interesting there. But the interesting thing was yet to be opened. Yes, it was my meal. My smelling glands were not stirred so much as when I took off the aluminum lid off the box. It was the most obnoxious smell one can get from food and I felt like throwing up. It was some kind of noodles and I sealed the box and prayed that the box should be taken away as soon as possible. This nagging smell was so strong that even after reaching the hotel I found it sticking to my clothes and inside the cabin-luggage. In the end, I was craving for that thing called the hindoo meal !!!!
“Yes but is it veg?”, the guy replied.
“veg? what is veg?”
“veg means vegetarian”, I interrupted.
“I donno Sir but I will inquire.”
Two thing to notice here. Firstly, I did not know what the hell a hindoo meal was. Secondly, people here have no idea what vegetarian is!!!
Finally he got a meal with “Hindoo meal” written on the top. I was given a meal with “Asia Vegetarian” sticker but I was more interested in peeping over to see the so-called hindoo meal. It had some yellow rice and curry; nothing much interesting there. But the interesting thing was yet to be opened. Yes, it was my meal. My smelling glands were not stirred so much as when I took off the aluminum lid off the box. It was the most obnoxious smell one can get from food and I felt like throwing up. It was some kind of noodles and I sealed the box and prayed that the box should be taken away as soon as possible. This nagging smell was so strong that even after reaching the hotel I found it sticking to my clothes and inside the cabin-luggage. In the end, I was craving for that thing called the hindoo meal !!!!