Saturday, June 25, 2005

 

Off to Singapore-1

So here I am …. Sitting in the waiting lounge of Bangkok international airport looking at some new faces and listening to all kinds of languages. Well, I am waiting for my connecting flight to Singapore. This airport is huge – it has this really long duty-free shopping alley (if I may say so) and they have made sure that everyone passes through it atleast once. There are many things that grabbed my attention here. Firstly, the mammoth airport staff – there are thousands of them – wearing those smart light blue coats and speaking that thai-nglish. Secondly, women outnumber men here. Whether in shops or security check-in, females are everywhere. I wonder where all men are!!! Even when I went to the men’s restroom, there was a female doing some cleaning stuff. Thirdly, all women are very thin (why??).

Going back to yesterday’s flight from Bangalore, it was a routine affair till we went into the transfer section of the Bangkok airport. And then I felt thirsty. I went from one corner of the airport to another but could not find any sign of “water”. This was the first indication that I was in an alien land. Perhaps they did not have the concept of free water that we have in India. Next, I went to one of the shops and asked for a bottle of water. The lady asked for bhats only. After a while I found a guy who said that he would give me a bottle for 5 SGD (that was the only currency I had apart from INR). That came out to be 130 indian bucks for one bottle of water. Surely that was the costliest water I have ever had !!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?